So Good: A short script


INT.  RUDYS KITCHEN – DAY (1953)

RUTH RANDALLS, around 27 years old, stands in a 50’s kitchen of her studio apartment next to the red square table containing four red chairs, holding onto the back of the chair closest to the door.

Into the room, enters FRANK RANDALLS, around 30 with an army uniform on, her husband of four years, returning home from the Korean War that just ended.

RUTH
Frank your…back…I am so happy to see you!

Ruth runs into Franks open arms. She hugs him warmly.

FRANK
Yeah, as back as I will ever be.

He smiles and hugs her back


I am glad to be home….especially back with my wife.

He smiles at her, taking her all in.

RUTH
You look beat up.

She smiles at him, taking him all in.

FRANK
Yeah I been beat up, chewed up, and spit out. But we got those communist. We got them.

Raising his left fist in the air, waving it away from her.

RUTH
And I am so proud.

FRANK
Yeah………

He smiles at the window and then the smile fades as he looks out.

RUTH
Whats wrong Frank?

She walks over behind him placing her hand on his shoulder.

FRANK
Oh nothing…Ruth.

He shakes her off and walks toward near the red sofa.

RUTH
Come on tell me. Tell me Frank.

She walks over to him and stands in front of him.

FRANK
Ruth its…..nothing. Really.

He looks her in the eyes.

RUTH
No tell me please… I am your wife.

She looks back at him.

FRANK
You wait for me Ruth?

RUTH
Of course Frank. Yes I waited for you.

She waves him off and smiles walking toward the rusty sink.

FRANK
That’s good to hear… cause you know…

He looks down.

RUTH
Know what?
She looks at him.

FRANK
Well the others. Their wives didn’t wait for them.
He looks at her.

RUTH
What do you mean?

She looks down at the empty sink.

FRANK
Johnson’s and Phillips wives didn’t wait for them, and Russell’s wife surely didn’t wait for him. She sent him a letter with a package telling him everything.

He grabs the back of the red chair closest to the door.

RUTH
Oh my. Well I waited like a good wife.
She continues to look down at the sink.

FRANK
I am glad to hear. Its just so bad about the other guys especially Russell.

He then sits down in that chair at the table.

RUTH
Wait! Did you say Russell’s wife didn’t wait?

She looks away from the sink then to him, then back at the sink.

FRANK
Yes Ruth.

Looking at Ruth’s back.

RUTH
No that is impossible. She stayed here with me the entire time you guys were shipped out.

FRANK
 Then when did she go? You know to that diner where they all go looking for that something we can’t give them while we are gone.

Looking at the door.

RUTH
I don’t know. The only time she could have left was when I was sleep. I guess.

FRANK
Must had been. Cause Russell…he got the letter.

He looks through the mail at the table.


Well sometimes women can’t be as strong as you. I am proud of you for that.

RUTH
Yeah….

FRANK
Ruth, you hiding something from me?

RUTH
No…Well yes. Don’t hate me but…

She grabs the ends of the sink tight.

FRANK
But what Ruth?

Still looking through the mail.

RUTH
I had to! Ok I had to! I was craving it and you were in Korea.
I went down there with her every night.

She turns around at him.

FRANK
So what? I am over there and I won’t know and that makes it right.

He is waving his hands in an angry way towards her still sitting down.

RUTH

It’s just the buttery bun, the crisp lettuce and tomatoes and juicy meat. It’s all so good!

She gets closer to the table.

FRANK
Stop!
He slams his hand on the table.

RUTH
No! And you know what I got apple pie after to.

FRANK
How could you?! You promised that if I am not eating real food over there than you wont over here.

RUTH
I couldn’t help myself. I got chocolate malt and fries with it too. That diner has the best double cheeseburgers. 

FRANK
You realize all the messed up peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I been eating over there.

RUTH
I know and I am sorry. How can I ever make it up to you?

FRANK
Well you could…

RUTH
What Frank? Anything?
Standing at his chair.

FRANK
Treat me to a cheeseburger. And some apple pie…and chocolate malt………and fries

He grabs her hand and looks in her eyes.

RUTH
                         Ok, lets go.                

INT. HALLWAY OF RUTHS APARTMENT BUILDING – DAY

RUTH
Hey just out of curiosity, what was that package Russell received with the letter?

FRANK
(Chuckles)
A ketchup packet.

Ruth smiles.

Comments

Popular Posts